Long flights can wreak havoc on your skin, leaving it dry, dull, and dehydrated. The dry cabin air, high altitude, and lack of proper skin care can lead to discomfort and skin issues. However, with a well-planned in-flight skincare routine, you can maintain a hydrated and fresh complexion throughout your journey. In this article, we’ll share expert tips for Keeping Your Skin Hydrated and Fresh During Long Flights
When you click on certain links within my blog posts, it may lead you to a product page where you have the opportunity to make a purchase. Please note that if you decide to make a purchase through those links, I may earn a commission from the retailer or brand. For more information, please visit the Affiliate Disclosure page on my blog.
Certainly! Pre-flight preparation is a crucial step in ensuring your skin remains hydrated and fresh during long flights. By taking the time to prepare your skin before boarding the plane, you can create a strong foundation for your in-flight skincare routine. Here’s a detailed explanation of each aspect of pre-flight preparation:
1. Hydrate Before Takeoff:
Before you even step onto the plane, make sure to hydrate your skin from the inside out. Flying can be dehydrating due to the low humidity levels in the cabin air. To counteract this, start drinking plenty of water at least 24 hours before your flight. Proper hydration is essential for maintaining your skin’s moisture levels, and it will help combat the dryness associated with flying.
Product Recommendation: Embrava Best Sports Water Bottle
- This water bottle is designed to hold 32 ounces of water, ensuring you stay hydrated before and during your flight.
- It has a leak-proof design, making it ideal for travel without worrying about spills in your carry-on.
- The bottle is made from BPA-free, non-toxic Tritan plastic, ensuring safe and clean hydration.
2. Cleansing is Key:
Cleanse your face thoroughly before heading to the airport. This step is essential to remove any makeup, dirt, or impurities that have accumulated on your skin. By starting with a fresh and clean canvas, your skin will be more receptive to the skincare products you’ll apply later. Choose a gentle cleanser that suits your skin type to avoid stripping your skin of its natural oils.
Product Recommendation: CeraVe Hydrating Facial Cleanser
- CeraVe’s Hydrating Facial Cleanser is gentle and suitable for all skin types, including sensitive skin.
- It effectively removes dirt, makeup, and impurities without disrupting the skin’s natural barrier.
- The non-comedogenic formula ensures it won’t clog pores, making it perfect for pre-flight cleansing.
In-Flight Skincare Routine:
Carry-On Essentials refers to the skincare products that you should pack in your carry-on bag to keep your skin hydrated and well-maintained during your flight. These essential items are travel-friendly and comply with airline regulations for liquids. Here’s a detailed explanation of each carry-on essential and its benefits:
1. Hydrating Mist:
A hydrating mist is a lightweight and refreshing spray that instantly hydrates and revitalizes your skin. It typically contains ingredients like aloe vera, rosewater, or hyaluronic acid, which are known for their hydrating properties. Here’s why a hydrating mist is a must-have in your carry-on:
- Instant Refreshment: Spritzing a hydrating mist onto your face during the flight provides an immediate burst of moisture. It helps combat the dry and stale cabin air, leaving your skin feeling refreshed.
- Maintains Moisture Barrier: Hydrating mists create a fine layer of moisture on your skin, which helps lock in existing hydration and prevent water loss. This is especially beneficial during long flights when the dry air can lead to increased moisture evaporation.
- Prevents Skin Tightness: Dry cabin air can cause your skin to feel tight and uncomfortable. A hydrating mist helps alleviate this sensation and keeps your skin feeling comfortable throughout the journey.
Product Recommendation: Mario Badescu Facial Spray with Aloe, Herbs, and Rosewater
- The facial mist contains aloe, herbs, and rosewater, providing a refreshing burst of hydration during the flight.
- It can be used to soothe and rejuvenate the skin, helping combat dryness and fatigue.
- The travel-sized bottle makes it convenient to carry and use throughout the journey.
A moisturizer is a skincare product designed to nourish and hydrate the skin. It comes in various formulations to suit different skin types, such as gels, lotions, or creams. Here’s why carrying a moisturizer is essential for in-flight skincare:
- 12 Sustainable and Eco-Friendly Beauty Products
- 6 Natural DIY Shampoos: Gentle Cleansing for Healthy Hair
- Intense Hydration: The low humidity levels in the airplane cabin can cause significant moisture loss from your skin. Applying a moisturizer provides intense hydration, ensuring your skin stays supple and plump.
- Skin Barrier Protection: Moisturizers contain ingredients like ceramides, shea butter, or glycerin that help strengthen the skin’s natural barrier. A robust skin barrier helps retain moisture and shields your skin from environmental aggressors.
- Prevents Flakiness: Dry air can lead to flaky and rough skin. Using a moisturizer helps prevent these issues, leaving your skin feeling smooth and soft.
Product Recommendation: Neutrogena Hydro Boost Water Gel
- The Hydro Boost Water Gel is a lightweight, oil-free moisturizer that absorbs quickly without leaving a greasy residue.
- Its hyaluronic acid-infused formula provides intense hydration, keeping the skin plump and moisturized.
- The gel texture is suitable for all skin types, providing a smooth base for makeup or alone during the flight.
3. Lip Balm:
The skin on your lips is delicate and prone to dryness, especially during flights. Packing a hydrating lip balm is essential for maintaining soft and moisturized lips. Here’s why a lip balm is a carry-on must-have:
- Hydrates and Soothes: Lip balms are formulated with emollients and nourishing ingredients like beeswax and coconut oil. They provide much-needed hydration and soothe dry, chapped lips.
- Prevents Cracking: Applying lip balm regularly during the flight prevents your lips from cracking or becoming uncomfortable due to dehydration.
- Protects from UV Rays: Some lip balms come with added SPF protection, which is beneficial as UV rays can still penetrate airplane windows and cause damage to your lips.
Product Recommendation: Burt’s Bees 100% Natural Moisturizing Lip Balm
- Burt’s Bees Lip Balm is made from 100% natural ingredients, including beeswax and coconut oil, providing nourishment and protection to your lips.
- It soothes dry and chapped lips, preventing discomfort during long flights.
- The slim and compact design makes it easy to carry in your pocket or bag.
You might not be directly exposed to sunlight during the flight, but UV rays can still reach your skin through the windows. Wearing sunscreen while flying is essential for protecting your skin from potential sun damage. Here’s why carrying sunscreen is crucial:
- UV Protection: Sunscreen with a high SPF provides protection against harmful UVA and UVB rays, preventing premature aging and sunburn.
- Maintains Skin Health: Shielding your skin from UV rays during the flight helps maintain its overall health and prevents potential long-term damage.
- Prevents Uneven Pigmentation: Sunscreen minimizes the risk of developing hyperpigmentation, which can be triggered by sun exposure, even when you’re not on the ground.
Product Recommendation: La Roche-Posay Anthelios Melt-in Milk Sunscreen SPF 100
- This high SPF sunscreen provides broad-spectrum protection against UVA and UVB rays, safeguarding your skin from sun damage even at higher altitudes.
- The fast-absorbing, non-greasy texture makes it suitable for wearing under makeup or alone during the flight.
- It is water-resistant for up to 80 minutes, making it ideal for long journeys.
5. Eye Cream:
The skin around your eyes is thin and delicate, making it susceptible to dryness and puffiness during flights. A hydrating eye cream is essential for keeping this sensitive area refreshed and moisturized. Here’s why eye cream is a carry-on essential:
- Reduces Puffiness: An eye cream with ingredients like cucumber extract or hyaluronic acid can help reduce puffiness and soothe tired eyes during the flight.
- Diminishes Dryness: Dry cabin air can lead to dryness around the eyes, causing discomfort. Applying an eye cream keeps this area moisturized and prevents dryness-related issues.
- Minimizes Dark Circles: Hydrated skin around the eyes appears plumper and can help minimize the appearance of dark circles, making you look more refreshed upon arrival.
Product Recommendation: La Roche-Posay Anthelios Melt-in Milk Sunscreen SPF 100
- The Cetaphil Hydrating Eye Gel-Cream is specifically formulated for the delicate eye area, providing intense hydration to combat puffiness and dryness.
- The gel-cream texture is lightweight and non-greasy, making it suitable for use during flights without any discomfort.
- It is fragrance-free, hypoallergenic, and suitable for sensitive skin.
Note- Including these carry-on essentials in your travel skincare routine ensures that your skin remains hydrated, refreshed, and protected during your flight. Remember to choose products that suit your skin type and preferences to make your in-flight skincare routine effective and enjoyable.
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
1. Is it necessary to have an in-flight skincare routine?
Yes, it is essential to have an in-flight skincare routine because the dry and pressurized cabin air can lead to skin dehydration, dullness, and discomfort. Following a proper skincare routine will help maintain your skin’s hydration and overall health during the flight.
2. Can I use the same skincare products during the flight as I do at home?
Yes, you can use similar skincare products during the flight, but consider opting for travel-sized versions to comply with airline regulations. Also, choose products that provide intense hydration and suit your skin type.
3. How often should I apply a hydrating mist during the flight?
You can apply a hydrating mist as often as needed during the flight. A few spritzes every couple of hours will help refresh your skin and combat dryness effectively.
4. Can I apply sunscreen indoors on the plane?
Yes, you can apply sunscreen indoors on the plane, especially if you have a window seat. UV rays can still penetrate through airplane windows, so it’s essential to protect your skin from potential sun damage.
5. Can I wear makeup during the flight?
Yes, you can wear makeup during the flight, but it’s advisable to go for minimal and lightweight makeup. Heavy makeup can clog pores and worsen dryness during the flight.
6. Are facial wipes effective for cleansing during the flight?
Facial wipes are convenient for quick cleansing during the flight. They help remove excess oil and sweat, keeping your skin fresh and clean. However, it’s still essential to follow up with a proper cleanse before applying skincare products.
7. Can I use a heavy moisturizer during the flight?
While a heavy moisturizer can be beneficial for intense hydration during a long flight, it’s essential to choose a moisturizer that suits your skin type and doesn’t feel greasy or uncomfortable.
8. Can I use the same eye cream as my regular moisturizer?
Eye creams are specifically formulated for the delicate skin around the eyes, so it’s best to use a separate eye cream to address specific eye-area concerns.
9. Should I reapply for sunscreen during the flight?
If your flight is particularly long or you have a window seat, consider reapplying sunscreen after a few hours to maintain sun protection.
10. Can I use a face mist with makeup on?
Yes, you can use a face mist with makeup on to refresh your skin. However, make sure to hold the bottle a few inches away from your face to avoid smudging your makeup.
With these in-flight skincare tips, you can ensure your skin stays hydrated and fresh during long flights. A well-prepared travel skincare routine will help you arrive at your destination with a radiant and glowing complexion. Remember to prioritize hydration, use gentle products, and protect your skin from UV rays throughout your journey. Safe travels and happy, healthy skin!