The holiday season is here, and what better way to celebrate than with a fresh and festive look? If you have dark hair and want to infuse some holiday spirit into your style, consider trying out these Christmas hair color ideas for dark hair. From the classic Candy Cane Red to the enchanting Northern Lights Aurora, we’ve compiled a list of stunning options that will make you the star of every holiday gathering. Let’s unwrap the magic of these Christmas-inspired hair color ideas!
When you click on certain links within my blog posts, it may lead you to a product page where you have the opportunity to make a purchase. Please note that if you decide to make a purchase through those links, I may earn a commission from the retailer or brand. For more information, please visit the Affiliate Disclosure page on my blog.
Christmas Hair Color Ideas for Dark Hair
1. Candy Cane Red and White:
- Base Color: Deep, rich red reminiscent of candy canes.
- Highlights: Add subtle, creamy white or platinum blonde highlights throughout your hair to mimic the white stripes on a candy cane.
- Styling: You can style your hair in loose waves or curls to showcase the contrasting colors beautifully. Consider a candy cane-inspired ribbon or bow accessory to complete the look.
2. Frosty Silver and Icy Blue:
- Base Color: A cool, silvery-gray shade to represent frost.
- Highlights: Incorporate icy blue highlights or lowlights to evoke the feeling of a winter wonderland.
- Styling: This combination looks stunning when styled straight and sleek for a modern, frosty effect. You can also add some sparkly hairpins or snowflake accessories for an extra touch of holiday magic.
3. Gingerbread Brown and Caramel Swirl:
- Base Color: A warm, chocolatey brown reminiscent of gingerbread cookies.
- Highlights: Incorporate caramel or honey-colored highlights to create a swirl effect that mimics the sweet, sugary icing on gingerbread cookies.
- Styling: This combination looks fantastic with loose curls or beachy waves. You can even add a gingerbread-themed hairpin or accessory for a fun and festive touch.
4. Holiday Evergreen and Red Berry:
- Base Color: Deep forest green, resembling an evergreen tree.
- Highlights: Add vibrant red berry highlights or balayage accents to represent the berries commonly associated with Christmas decor.
- Styling: Style your hair in loose, tousled waves to showcase the depth of these colors. Consider adding some small artificial berries or greenery as hair accessories for a truly festive look.
5. Peppermint Twist Red and Minty Green:
- Base Color: A vibrant, candy apple red, reminiscent of peppermint candies.
- Highlights: Incorporate minty green highlights or streaks throughout your hair to capture the essence of mint candies.
- Styling: This playful combination looks fantastic when styled in loose, bouncy curls. Consider adding a festive bow or ribbon accessory in red and green to complete the peppermint twist theme.
6. Golden Starlight and Midnight Blue:
- Base Color: Deep, luxurious midnight blue, reminiscent of the night sky.
- Highlights: Add golden highlights or balayage accents to represent the stars that shine brightly during the holiday season.
- Styling: This celestial-inspired combination is stunning when styled with loose waves or a half-up, half-down hairstyle. You can also incorporate small star-shaped hairpins or accessories for added whimsy.
7. Festive Holly Berry Trio:
- Base Color: Deep, rich green to represent holly leaves.
- Highlights: Incorporate vibrant red and shiny gold highlights to mimic the bright berries and glistening ornaments often seen on holiday wreaths.
- Styling: Style your hair in loose curls or waves to showcase the rich color combination. You can also add small holly leaf and berry accessories for a charming touch.
8. Nutcracker Suite:
- Base Color: A warm, toasty brown resembling the color of a nutcracker’s wooden exterior.
- Highlights: Add metallic silver and royal blue streaks or highlights to capture the elegance and magic of the Nutcracker ballet.
- Styling: This combination looks enchanting when styled in a sleek, straight bob or a sophisticated updo. Consider adding small nutcracker-themed hairpins or accessories for a whimsical touch.
9. Cocoa and Marshmallow Swirl:
- Base Color: A deep, chocolatey brown reminiscent of hot cocoa.
- Highlights: Incorporate creamy, marshmallow-like blonde or caramel highlights to create a swirl effect, reminiscent of a delicious cup of hot chocolate.
- Styling: This sweet and cozy combination looks wonderful when styled in loose waves or voluminous curls. You can even add a mini marshmallow hairpin or cocoa-themed accessory for a playful twist.
10. Snowy Silver and Sparkling Champagne:
- Base Color: A silvery-white shade to evoke the look of freshly fallen snow.
- Highlights: Add soft, sparkling champagne or pale gold highlights to create a shimmering, winter wonderland effect.
- Styling: This elegant combination looks stunning with loose, glamorous waves or a sleek, pulled-back updo. Consider adding crystal or snowflake hair accessories for extra sparkle.
11. Frosty Lavender and Icy Blue:
- Base Color: A cool, lavender shade reminiscent of frosty winter flowers.
- Highlights: Incorporate icy blue highlights or streaks to complement the lavender base and create a dreamy, ethereal look.
- Styling: Style your hair in loose braids or beachy waves for a whimsical and romantic appearance. Accessorize with delicate winter flower crowns or silver hairpins for added charm.
12. Holiday Peacock Feathers:
- Base Color: Deep, iridescent teal or peacock blue.
- Highlights: Add jewel-toned accents in emerald green, sapphire blue, and amethyst purple to mimic the vibrant colors of peacock feathers.
- Styling: This bold and exotic combination looks stunning with straight, glossy hair or in a cascading mermaid-style braid. You can also add peacock feather hair clips or accessories for a striking effect.
13. Silver Bells and Cranberry Delight:
- Base Color: A shimmering silver or metallic gray for a festive, wintry feel.
- Highlights: Add rich cranberry red highlights or balayage accents to evoke the color of cranberry sauce.
- Styling: This combination looks dazzling when styled in loose, voluminous curls. Consider adding silver bell hairpins or cranberry-themed accessories for extra holiday charm.
14. Cinnamon Spice and Eggnog Cream:
- Base Color: A warm, spicy cinnamon brown reminiscent of holiday spices.
- Highlights: Incorporate creamy eggnog-colored highlights or lowlights to create a cozy and inviting look.
- Styling: Style your hair in soft waves or loose curls for a warm and inviting appearance. You can also add cinnamon stick or eggnog-themed hair accessories for a delightful touch.
15. Twinkling Starry Night:
- Base Color: A deep, inky blue resembling a starry winter night sky.
- Highlights: Add twinkling silver or gold highlights to mimic the sparkle of stars.
- Styling: This celestial-inspired combination looks enchanting when styled with loose curls or in a romantic updo. Consider adding small star-shaped hairpins or shimmering hair accessories for a magical touch.
16. Fairy Lights Pastels:
- Base Color: A dark, rich brown or black as a backdrop.
- Highlights: Add delicate pastel hues like soft pink, lavender, and mint green as highlights to represent the enchanting glow of holiday fairy lights.
- Styling: This whimsical combination looks magical when styled in loose, romantic curls or braids. Consider weaving tiny LED lights or star-shaped hairpins into your hair for a dazzling effect.
17. Northern Lights Aurora:
- Base Color: A deep, velvety purple resembling the night sky.
- Highlights: Incorporate iridescent shades of green, blue, and pink as highlights to capture the ethereal beauty of the Northern Lights.
- Styling: Style your hair in loose, flowing waves to showcase the stunning color combination. You can also add tiny aurora borealis hairpins or holographic hair accessories for an otherworldly appearance.
18. Evergreen Green:
- Base Color: Choose a deep green shade reminiscent of evergreen trees.
- Highlights: Incorporate subtle highlights or lowlights in slightly lighter and darker green tones to add dimension.
- Styling: Style your hair in loose waves to showcase the rich green color. Consider adding small sprigs of artificial evergreen or pine needle accessories for a festive touch.
19. Cherry Cola:
- Base Color: Opt for a dark, red-brown shade resembling the popular holiday beverage.
- Highlights: Add delicate highlights in cherry red to enhance the cola-inspired look.
- Styling: This warm and inviting color combination pairs well with loose curls or a sleek, vintage-inspired hairstyle. Consider a cherry-themed hairpin or accessory for added flair.
- 25 Christmas Hairstyles for Medium Hair: Step-by-Step Guide
- 25 Dazzling Christmas Hair Color Ideas for Brunettes
20. Chocolate Peppermint Swirl:
- Base Color: Start with a dark brown base.
- Highlights: Create a candy-cane effect with cool, peppermint-inspired highlights in white or icy blue.
- Styling: Style your hair in playful curls or waves to emphasize the candy-cane swirls. Consider adding small candy cane or peppermint swirl hair accessories for a festive and fun look.
21. Golden Tinsel:
- Base Color: Choose a deep, dark base color and add rich golden highlights.
- Highlights: Incorporate golden highlights throughout your hair for a shimmering effect.
- Styling: Style your hair in loose curls or waves to showcase the golden shimmer. You can also add small gold tinsel or ribbon hair accessories for extra sparkle.
22. Velvet Plum:
- Base Color: Opt for a deep, purple-red shade resembling velvet ribbons.
- Highlights: Add subtle plum or burgundy highlights for a luxurious effect.
- Styling: This rich and vibrant combination looks gorgeous when styled with voluminous curls or a sleek, glamorous updo. Consider adding small velvet ribbon or gemstone hairpins for added elegance.
23. Gingerbread Brown:
- Base Color: Choose a warm, brown hue with hints of cinnamon and ginger tones.
- Highlights: Add caramel or ginger highlights to enhance the warm and cozy look.
- Styling: Style your hair in loose, beachy waves or textured curls for a relaxed, inviting appearance. Consider adding small gingerbread-themed hairpins or accessories for a playful touch.
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
1. What color hair dye shows up best on dark hair?
Vibrant and deep shades like red, burgundy, or dark blue often show up well on dark hair without the need for bleaching. Shades with warm undertones also tend to be more visible.
2. What hair Colour is in for Christmas?
Popular Christmas hair colors include deep reds (like cranberry or candy cane red), rich greens (such as evergreen or emerald), icy silvers, and festive gold tones. However, the choice ultimately depends on personal preference and the desired holiday vibe.
What Colours work on dark brown hair?
Dark brown hair pairs beautifully with a range of colors, including warm tones like caramel, honey, and auburn, as well as cool tones like ash blonde or cool brown. Rich jewel tones and deep reds also complement dark brown hair.
How do you get hair dye to show on dark hair?
To get hair dye to show on dark hair, use a high-quality dye specifically formulated for dark hair. You can also consider pre-lightening or using a color booster to make the dye more vibrant.
What is the best Christmas Colour?
The best Christmas color is subjective and varies from person to person. Traditional Christmas colors like red and green are classic choices, but the “best” color is the one that makes you feel festive and joyful.
What hair color makes you look younger?
Hair colors with warm undertones, such as caramel, honey, or auburn, can often create a youthful and vibrant appearance. They can add warmth and brightness to the complexion.
What highlight color is best for dark brown hair?
Some excellent highlight colors for dark brown hair include caramel, honey, or even shades of auburn or copper. These warm tones can create a beautiful contrast and dimension.
What color is complementary to dark brown?
Colors that are complementary to dark brown include shades on the opposite side of the color wheel, such as cool-toned colors like ash blonde, cool brown, or even shades of blue or purple.
What hair dye brand is best for dark brown hair?
Several hair dye brands offer excellent options for dark brown hair, including L’Oréal, Clairol, Garnier, and Schwarzkopf. The best brand may depend on your specific hair goals and preferences.